So I finally figured out how to make photographs post and I will be taking advantage of this new technology. But first, a brief anecdote.
My new house is much closer to where I work in Nyendo and fortunately, this means I don't need to take a boda to work every day. It's about a twenty minute walk. The problem is that the walk consists of many long, winding paths that go through farms, plantations and even schools. Today was my first time walking without getting lost.
"You cannot get lost," explained my mom patiently. "You can't get lost because every road goes to Nyendo."
"That's not possible," I argued. "This road goes in two different directions. That cannot both be Nyendo."
"No. They both go to Nyendo."
So we countered this way for a long, long time. I argue that two different roads cannot go to the same place and she argued that of course they can. "Okay, they both go to Nyendo," I agree. "But which is faster?"
"They are both fast."
"...but they go in opposite directions. Which road is best?"
"They are all good roads."
So I was very, very frustrated. How the hell do I get to work if every road will bring me to work in the same amount of time? I tried rewording my question: which road will bring me to Nyendo in the shortest amount of time, with me exerting the smallest amount of effort?
"They will all bring you to Nyendo."
Well, they don't all bring me to Nyendo. I got lost and wound up in Masaka. I got lost and wound up in Nakayiba, right where I started. I got lost and wound up somewhere in the banana plantations. My mom, my entire family and every Ugandan just laughs at me: How do you get lost? All roads go to Nyendo!!
They do not. I cannot figure out if this is bizarre Ugandan humor or if the roads just don't work for white people.
Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits. Check it out.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment