I have been at Cafe Fric (Masaka's refuge and haven for Mzungu: it is run by some Danish Christian missionaries and offers Western-like foods and free wireless internet) for almost 4 hours, absolutely loving and taking advantage of the internet.
However, I did just walk into a tree branch and after ascertaining that my eyeball did not squish out, I am cursing the lack of lights/indoor plumbing.
Although the indoor plumbing situation isn't the fault of Cafe Fric: Fric technically closed 2 hours ago. I'm sitting outside, stealing their internet. Oops!
Anyway, I thought this could be some good reflection time, as I just briefly contemplated life with one eye.
I feel terribly that my host family didn't work out. I know FSD works as hard as they can to mediate intern/family disputes and I think I am one of the first interns to actually move out of a family. Especially because on reflection, the family I am leaving is the type of family I am trying to encourage. Sylvia, my host mom, is a thoroughly modern woman who still embraces her Ugandan culture and heritage. She works twelve-hour days at an electronic shop and is exhausted when she comes home. True, her lifestyle doesn't really provide room for an intern, and she was completely unwavering concerning the key situation to the house. But she works so hard andwas very welcoming in her own way. She respected that I was not going to kneel to her, joked with me about all my marriage proposals (I get a lot of marriage proposals...) and offered me her perspectives on life in Uganda.
Of course, anytime I mentioned something negetive, she sighs and goes "...we have so many problems in Uganda." Even if I mention that I misplaced my flashlight! However, I realized last week that her English comprehension isn't as good as her spoken English. She answers "Yes dear..isn't that fine?" to nearly everything I say. I only realized a few days ago that she rarely understands me!
Anyway, perhaps I am a little selfish in demanding that my family changes their life to revolve around me. Sylvia and her family really could not accomodate access to their house until late at night and I was unwilling to change my mind on this. True, my current situation is more like a hotel guest or member of a homeless shelter...but these are the challenges that up and coming families struggle with (time management) and issues that every working mother knows.
My eye still hurts. My conscience points out that if I don't skulk outside of Danish christian missionaries during the night, I won't walk into trees.
Whatever, conscience. Free fast internet is not something to ignore.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment