Friday, July 3, 2009

Fundraising Activated!

Today is a great day. Not only did I have hot chocolate with
breakfast, but FSD in San Francisco processed all of my fundraising
materials and gave my project a page on their website. I have an
actual URL and a Donate Now! Button that I can use.

I have only two weeks to do the fundraising because it needs to be
completed 2 weeks before I leave the country. I sent out a few emails
this morning to friends and Couchsurfers, but I'm trying to find the
right words for Gettysburg people and friends and family. I wish I
could just call up every single person I know and convince them that
this project is the solution to poverty and desperation in my
community here.
Brief List of Reasons Why This is a Worthwhile Cause
1) Most charity programs or projects that foreigners set up come from
a visitor's perception of the community, or how to fix any community
problems. These solutions usually won't last after the visitor leaves
because they didn't come from the community. This revolving fund was
started a year before I came here. It has had problems and then LUGADA
fixed them. This project comes from the community and the
stakeholders and just needs to be strengthened by outside resources.
2) Yes, banks offer microloans. But even the microloans offered by
banks or microfinance institutions like Kiva are beyond the resources
of the chronically poor. Most banks have interest rates of nearly 30%
on microloans. The processing costs and administrative costs on a
small loan are the same as a large loan, and the banks have to charge
more so they don't lose money on microloans. LUGADA offers a 4.5%
interest rate and will even negotiate down if someone cannot afford
4.5%.
3) LUGADA is run by multistakeholders, representing single women, HIV+
people, orphans, vulnerable children, the elderly, the chronically
poor and even a few of the upper-class residents of Nyendo-Ssenyenge.
Between all of these representatives, they understand the problems and
situations in the area. International charities don't take the time to
really understand community needs or form partnerships with community
groups.
4) The 4.5% interest goes towards other community projects, like
community cleanup (people dump sewage and garbage in the streets),
empowerment training, domestic violence counseling, HIV counseling,
school fees for orphans and food for the orphanage.
So when I finally manipulate these reasons into an appropriately
poetic yet pleading email (and add the following incentives: 1 dollar
means you are an honorary member of LUGADA, 15 dollars merits a
photograph of how your funds are used, 50 dollars merits a craft made
by the women's group!), I hope it convinces everyone to join LUGADA's
cause.

In case this post was enough to inspire your generosity, you can donate at:
http://fsdinternational.org/donate/projects/Angello (to see a full
project description and photos)or directly through PayPal
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6519154

No comments:

Post a Comment